Skin Shield SPF 30
Broad spectrum defence (UVA & UVB) 100% natural sunscreen (100g)
Skin Shield by Emma Lewisham is a next generation sunscreen.
What makes it unlike any other sunscreen, is it’s truly 100% natural and 100% clean – there’s not a single drop of anything synthetic, but it doesn’t compromise high performance or luxury – making it an innovation to behold. It meets the highest of international testing standards and is a joy to wear – it’s unbelievably light and sheer on the skin with no heaviness or greasiness. Skin Shield is a world first for the beauty industry, with its tube being made from 100% recycled plastic.
Provides broad spectrum defence against UVA and UVB rays and is loaded with 19 of the most nutrient rich organic botanicals. Skin Shield locks in moisture with 9 ingredients for intense hydration, 6 ingredients to fight pollution and free radical damage from the sun, and 7 sources of vitamins and minerals for a healthy protected complexion. Giving you more than ever from your sun protection.
Start every day with the world’s most powerful anti-aging
ingredient – sun protection
Skin Shield by Emma Lewisham was borne out of a personal dilemma. Emma couldn’t find a truly 100% clean and natural sunscreen that was high performance but still felt luxurious on her skin.
Our green chemists have worked meticulously to develop this. A revolutionary daily sunscreen with 19 powerful natural actives, 100% clean and natural, but invisible on the skin with no heaviness or greasiness and meets the highest of testing standards. It's also reef safe.
It is very difficult chemistry to formulate a 100% clean and natural sunscreen that is luxurious as conventional products which use chemical screens or silicones, but we have done just that.
Skin Shield SPF 30 (100g) zinc sunscreen provides broad spectrum defence against UVA and UVB rays.
Skin Shield SPF 30 was formulated by an internationally recognised expert on sun protection.
It is tested to the Australian/New Zealand AS/NZS 2604 standard, which is based on the international ISO 24443 for broad spectrum testing, and ISO 24444 for in-vivo SPF testing.
This means it is scientifically verified as delivering SPF 30 broad spectrum protection, giving you confidence that you’re getting a high level of protection.
19 effective botanical ingredients
We believe in complex formulas and that more ingredients and less fillers equal more results – and the independent testing we’ve done confirms we’re right. We don’t focus on one hero ingredient per product, we fill our products with the highest number of effective and innovative ingredients possible. Our goal is to create formulas that are effective and luxurious as anything in the world, without a drop of anything unclean or suspicious. No compromises.
Every ingredient works hard in our formulation but below are your noteworthy ‘skin heroes’:
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is like the glass of water your skin desperately needs when out in the sun. It's a molecule that draws and locks in moisture to your skin, supports elasticity, and boosts collagen production. It has an ability to absorb up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
- Zinc Oxide: Natural mineral pigment which gives protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Our zinc oxide is uniquely non-whitening, with no white residue left on your skin. It is also reef safe.
- Patented organically grown beauty complex from 7 alpine plant extracts: The result of a research program in which a hundred plants were selected for their effectiveness in inhibiting tyrosinase (this is the enzyme which produces the pigment melanin, which you see as dark spots or hyperpigmentation on your skin). The research and development took 5 years, and the resulting clinical studies showed phenomenal results for their effects in inhibiting the production and transfer of melanin to the skin.
- Organic Prickly Pear: Is the ultimate beauty oil. It has the highest concentration of vitamin E of any skin oil (150% more than Argan oil). A powerful antioxidant that can penetrate through layers of skin, assisting the body with the natural wound-healing process. Vitamin E also helps to renew skin cells, making them stronger and reducing oxidative stress.
- Organic Kakadu Plum: Vitamin C is a powerhouse for the skin, it’s one of the most research-backed skincare ingredients, and Kakadu Plum oil has the highest concentration of vitamin C in the world – 100 times more than an orange.
- Raspberry Seed Oil: Has powerful antioxidant properties which ward off damaging environmental aggressors and enhance UV protection.
Full list of ingredients
We ensure every Emma Lewisham ingredient is clean and safe, with a "low hazard" ranking on the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep Database. Below is our full list of ingredients with their EWG ratings in brackets (1 = low, 10 = high).
You can also learn more about each ingredient and our sustainability goals in our Sustainability Framework.
Coco-caprylate/caprate (1) • Water (1) • Zinc oxide (nano) (2) • Tapioca starch (1) • Organic Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil (1) • Glycerin (2) • Sorbitan olivate (1) • Cera alba (1) • Lecithin (2) • Polyglyceryl-2 dipolyhydroxystearate (1) • Organic Opuntia ficus-indica (Prickly Pear) seed oil (1) • Hippophae rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) fruit oil (1) • Terminalia ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) seed oil (1) • Hyaluronic acid (1) • Organic Persea gratissima (Avocado) oil (1) • Leontopodium alpinum (Edelweiss) flower/leaf extract (1) • Organic Calophyllum inophyllum (Tamanu) seed oil (1) • Organic Mentha piperita (Peppermint) leaf extract (1) • Organic Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) leaf extract (1) • Camellia oleifera (Camellia) seed oil (1) • Organic Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter (1) • Organic Veronica officinalis (Speedwell) extract (1) • Organic Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit oil (1) • Organic Alchemilla vulgaris (Lady’s Mantle) extract (1) • Organic Rubus idaeus (Raspberry) seed oil (1) • Organic Malva sylvestris (Mallow) extract (1) • Organic Primula veris (Cowslip) extract (1) • Organic Vitis vinifera (Grape) seed oil (1) • Organic Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) extract (1) • Glyceryl caprylate (1) • Isostearic acid (1) • Caprylhydroxamic acid (1) • Sodium chloride (1) • Galactoarabinan (1) • Polyglyceryl-3 polyricinoleate (1) • Polyhydroxystearic acid (1) • Potassium cetyl phosphate (1) • Parfum • Benzyl Salicylate • Citronellol • Eugenol • Geraniol • Linalool
- 100% of total ingredients are naturally derived
- 68% of active ingredients are from organic farming (NB: we are currently reviewing sourcing for other ingredients)
- 58% of active ingredients are certified according to the Ecocert Standard. The Ecocert standard was designed to hold the ingredients, manufacturing processes and packaging of cosmetic products to a high standard of compliance
- Our formulations contain benzyl salicylate, citronellol, eugenol, geraniol, linalool in very low concentrations as constituents of our essential oils. It’s worth noting that the EWG rating for these, refer only to the individual constituents extracted in a lab from the essential oil, or synthetic replications. The ratings are not applicable to our formulas, as we never use extracted or synthetic constituents, only the pure naturally occurring essential oil
Every Emma Lewisham product has been designed with the intention of being fully recyclable / compostable at the end of its life or part of a refill programme in the future. We believe the future of beauty is where brands take ownership for what happens to their packaging at the end of its life, and that we should all aspire to a truly closed-loop recycling system.
This product is included in our Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle free recycling programme.
Our Skin Shield box is printed on an environmentally responsible paper which has been produced using PEFC certified pulp from responsible sources. We print on it using mineral, oil free, vegetable based inks and water based coatings. Oil based glue is required to assemble these boxes. Stamping foil used on the box does not affect recyclability. It is 100% recyclable in New Zealand with no chemical coatings, which means our boxes will degrade naturally, whether they are composted or simply put in the landfill.
Our Skin Shield tube is made from plastic for practical and safety reasons. It is a world first, made from 100% imported recycled post consumer HDPE #2 plastic, which means we buy non-virgin plastic already circulating in the global plastics market that needs to be used. By reusing it over and over again, we are actively diverting waste from landfill. This tube is 100% recyclable, however, may not be able to be widely recycled in New Zealand. If recycling: please cut the top of the sunscreen tube and clean wash it out so it is clear of residue. The cap is made from non-recyclable #5 polypropylene virgin plastic.
worked hard to provide you with clean skincare via a supply chain
that is efficient, transparent, and accountable. To this end, we have
developed a Sustainability Framework which provides transparency on
what Emma Lewisham is doing to address the six drivers of our supply
chain: raw materials, supplier, manufacturing, distribution, retail
outlets and customers. These are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
the Emma Lewisham Sustainability Framework.
Apply liberally to skin and reapply every 2 hours, or more frequently if swimming, exercising, perspiring or towel drying.
While our formulation is 100% clean and naturally derived, we recommend if you have sensitive skin or allergies that you do a patch test first or consult your medical practitioner before using any new skincare product. If your skin is not responding well to one of our products, including irritation, please discontinue use and contact a medical practitioner.
To protect your skin, natural zinc sunscreens when rubbed in, do leave a small amount of whiteness. The higher the SPF, the more zinc/whiteness there is. We have formulated our SPF to have minimal whiteness on the skin, but we recommend warming the sunscreen between your hands before application as this makes it easier to rub into your skin.