Emma Lewisham a natural beauty brand, but what is the most impressive aspect is our performance, which is uniquely validated by independent scientific testing.
We set out to be the world’s highest performing natural beauty brand and to set a new standard in sustainable beauty. We prove that natural and high performance and luxury and sustainability can co-exist.
Emma Lewisham uses only 100% natural, naturally derived and natural identical ingredients.
Our definition aligns with the definition of natural by NATRUE who are an International Natural and Organic Cosmetics Association who certify natural and organic cosmetics worldwide is classified in 3 ways:
- Natural ingredients are those to which only physical processes or fermentation have been applied.
- Derived natural ingredients are the result of chemical processes of natural ingredients.
- Nature-identical ingredients can be either pigments, minerals or preservatives. They are reproduced in the laboratory but exist in nature. These ingredients are allowed when strictly necessary in order to ensure consumer safety (preservatives) or because the extraction methods result in an ingredient becoming too chemical. All of them have one essential characteristic: they can be found in nature.
Our ingredients are predominantly from natural origin or naturally derived. Our natural identical ingredients are vitamin B3 in Skin Reset and our preservative system.
For our preservative system we use: Dehydroacetic Acid (and) Benzyl Alcohol. NaTrue certified preservatives for natural and organic cosmetic, ECOCERT & COSMOS compliant, Soil Association approved. Dehydroacetic acid is found in nature in the flowers of the solandra species. Benzyl alcohol is a constituent found in many pure essential oils, and also in fruits and teas
PETA Certified, Vegan & Child labour policies
All Emma Lewisham products are vegan except for our SPF range, which contains mindfully sourced beeswax (cera alba) from bees which are unharmed.
All Emma Lewisham products are PETA certified cruelty free and child labour free (we do not have this certified as there is not a certification we have found that exists). We request from all of our ingredient suppliers certification or written confirmation that they do not test on animals or are involved in any child labour practices.
Traceability & Supply Chain Transparency
We are absolutely committed to understanding how people and the planet are treated in the process of producing the ingredients we use. We won’t turn a blind eye and will take ownership for the decisions we make within our supply chain.
We now have 100% traceability of where we source our ingredients from, and in 2021 we will be working through reviewing every one of our farms’ labour and environmental practices. You can review our ingredients list sources here.
We also hold up the highest of standards in terms of what happens to beauty packaging end of life, and take ownership for taking back all material and ensuring it is refilled at our laboratory or recycled via Terracycle and kept in circulation.
We are passionate about being a positive force in the beauty industry and moving the industry towards a circular model.
Carbon Positive Path
We plan to eliminate all our products’ carbon footprint. A plan we have started to action from our brands inception. We are currently measuring the emissions of our products from our first year of business and will finish this process by July 2021.
We believe in the power of natural ingredients and use them for this reason. As a company it is our decision to therefore not use the below ingredients:
- Paraben & Phenoxyethanol Free: Parabens are preservatives used in cosmetics. We do not use any parabens or synthetic preservatives in our skin care products. The preservative phenoxyethanol is associated with a growing number of concerns around skin allergies and health issues. We have decided to not use both these preservatives in our products.
- Artificial Preservative Free: Instead of synthetic preservatives, we use grain alcohol, pure plant extracts and essential oils to maintain the life of our products.
- Sodium-Laurel-Sulfate (SLS) Free: These substances provide the foaming and degreasing effect of products such as shampoo, facial cleanser and shower gel. The disadvantage is that they can easily dissolve natural skin oils. Therefore, the barrier function of the skin can be disrupted, causing irritation and drying. You will not find Sodium-Laurel-Sulfate (SLS) in any of our skin care products, instead we use natural plant-based surfactants.
- Artificial Fragrance Free: One of the key characteristics of Emma Lewisham skin care products is that we only use high-quality, natural raw materials for our fragrances.
- Phthalate Free: In skin care products phthalates are often used as a stabiliser for synthetic perfumes. Unfortunately, companies are not obligated to mention them in the list of ingredients as perfume is considered a 'proprietary' ingredient. We only use natural essential oils in our fragrances.
- We only use RSPO certified palm extracts